You have to get moving! Physicians, therapists, and fitness trainers all say the same thing. You absolutely must get moving!
An article featured in Oprah magazine (January 2011) listed ten reasons why you should exercise. You don’t have to pick all ten. Perhaps one or two would be sufficient. Only you can know for sure. I would be willing to bet that all ten are right in your wheel-house.
- You want to fight disease. Whether you are trying to prevent cancer, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease or diabetes, or are dealing with a diagnosis that you already have. Exercise is therapeutic.
- You want to lose weight and keep it off. Weight is nearly always an issue. Whether you are too thin or too plump, you need exercise to promote a healthier lifestyle.
- You want to look better: Vain perhaps, but exercise will improve your posture, firm your body and make your skin glow with health.
- Your patience has work thin and you are tired all of the time: exercise can put you in a better mood and make you feel better.
- You are sick more often that you think you should be. We all need some days off, but not sick days. Regular exercisers are healthier and less likely to need to take sick days.
- You have joint pain: Most of us have joint pain as we grow older. Exercise has been known to reduce pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis by strengthening the muscles around the joints.
- Back pain: No stranger to most people. Doctors used to tell people to rest if you had pain anywhere, but nowadays they are more like to tell you to move more.
- You don’t sleep well: Exercise is energizing but also wears you out. You will sleep better and feel more energetic during the day time.
- You want to slow the effects of aging: We all want this one. Exercise is one of the most effective ways to fight aging. Reduce bone and muscle loss, improves circulation, reduces inflammation, improves memory and other cognitive functions.
- You love your kids: none of us want our kids to see us or think of us as old. Set a good example for your kids, play with your kids, and enjoy the fact that you might be around longer to enjoy their company.